How Do I File Taxes on My Small Business?

How do I file taxes on my small business? This is a common question we get here at the Small Business Association. Let’s go over the basics of filing taxes for your small business.

Checkout this video:


Starting a small business is an exciting proposition, but it also comes with a host of new responsibilities, including figuring out how to file taxes. While tax filing may not be the most glamorous part of owning a small business, it is an important one. The good news is that there are a number of resources available to help small businesses with their taxes, from online tools to professional tax preparers.

There are a few things to keep in mind when it comes to filing taxes for your small business. First, you will need to decide whether to file as a sole proprietor, partnership, corporation, or LLC. Each type of business entity has different tax filing requirements. You will also need to determine what type of income and expenses you will need to report on your tax return.

Once you have gathered all of the necessary information, you will be ready to file your taxes. You can choose to do this yourself using online tax software or by hiring a professional tax preparer. Whichever method you choose, make sure that you allow yourself plenty of time to complete the process and file your return by the April 15th deadline.

What is a small business?

The term “small business” can have different meanings, depending on the context. For tax purposes, the IRS defines a small business as a company with fewer than 500 employees. This includes sole proprietorships, partnerships, limited liability companies (LLCs), and corporations.

What taxes do small businesses pay?

As a small business owner, you are responsible for paying several different types of taxes. The specific taxes you will pay depend on the type of business you have and your business location.

  How to Find Your EIN Number for Business

federal income tax, self-employment tax, state income tax, and property tax. You may also have to pay local taxes, such as city or county taxes.

Your business may also be required to pay other taxes, depending on the products or services you sell, or the type of business you have. For example, businesses that sell certain types of products may have to pay federal excise taxes. Businesses that provide certain services may have to pay federal communication excise taxes or insurance premium taxes. If you areimporting goods into the United States, you will have to pay import duties.

How do I file taxes for my small business?

There are a few different ways that you can file taxes for your small business, and the method that you choose will depend on the size and structure of your business. If you have a sole proprietorship, you can file your taxes using a 1040EZ form. If you have a partnership, LLC, or S corporation, you can file using a 1065 form. If you have a C corporation, you can file using a 1120 form. You can also choose to file electronically using tax software or through the IRS website.

What records do I need to keep for my small business taxes?

To make tax time less stressful, get organized throughout the year by keeping good records. Doing so will also help you keep tabs on your business expenses and deductible business expenses.

You’ll need to keep the following records:
-Receipts and canceled checks relating to business expenses
-Invoices sent to customers
-Deposit slips and bank statements
– Petty cash slips
– Records of any property or equipment purchased for your business
-Daybooks or journals documenting business income and expenses

By staying organized and keeping good records, you can be confident that you’re claiming all the deductions you’re entitled to.

  How Can I Start a Blockchain Business?

What are the deadlines for filing small business taxes?

The tax deadline for most small businesses is March 15. This is the date when your business must file its annual income tax return. If you are a sole proprietor, you will file your taxes using Form 1040. If you have a partnership or an S corporation, you will use Form 1065.

If you are a sole proprietor and you need more time to file your taxes, you can get an extension by filing Form 4868. This will give you until August 15 to file your return. If you have a partnership or an S corporation, you can get an extension by filing Form 7004. This will give you until September 15 to file your return.

If you owe taxes and you cannot pay them by the deadline, you should still file your return on time and pay as much as you can. You can then set up a payment plan with the IRS to pay the rest of your taxes over time.

What are the penalties for not filing small business taxes?

There are a number of penalties that can be levied for not filing small business taxes, including:

-A late filing penalty of 5% of the unpaid tax amount for each month (or partial month) that the return is late, up to a maximum of 25%
-A late payment penalty of 0.5% of the unpaid tax amount for each month (or partial month) that the payment is late, up to a maximum of 25%
-An accuracy-related penalty of 20% of the underlying tax liability, if the IRS determines that there was substantial understatement of income, negligence or disregard of rules and regulations, or substantial overstatement of deductions

In addition, interest will accrue on any unpaid tax amounts from the date that the taxes were due until the date that they are paid.

  How Can Marketing Contribute to the Success of a Business?

Can I get help with my small business taxes?

The first step in filing your small business taxes is to gather all of the necessary documentation. This includes your income and expenses for the year, as well as any forms that are required by the IRS. Once you have all of the necessary paperwork, you can begin filling out your tax return.

If you are unsure of how to file your taxes, there are many resources available to help you. The IRS offers free tax help for small businesses, and there are many private companies that offer tax preparation services. You can also find many helpful articles and tutorials online.

Where can I find more information about small business taxes?

The U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) is a good place to start when you are looking for more information about small business taxes. The SBA provides free counseling and training to small business owners and entrepreneurs through their network of Small Business Development Centers (SBDCs). You can find your nearest SBDC by visiting their website or calling their toll-free number: 1-800-U-ASK-SBA (1-800-827-5722).


As a small business owner, you are responsible for ensuring that your business complies with all relevant tax laws. While this may seem like a daunting task, there are a few simple steps you can take to ensure that you are in compliance.

First, keep good records of all of your business income and expenses. This will make it much easier to prepare your tax return each year. Second, be sure to file your tax return on time. If you are not able to do so, you may be subject to late fees and penalties. Finally, if you have any questions about filing taxes on your small business, be sure to consult with a qualified tax professional.

Scroll to Top