How to File an Extension for Your Business Taxes

It’s getting close to tax time, and if you’re like most small business owners, you’re probably feeling a little stressed out. But don’t worry, we’re here to help.

In this blog post, we’ll show you how to file an extension for your business taxes. We’ll go over the requirements and the process, so you can get it done quickly and easily.

We know tax time can be tough, but with a little help, it doesn’t

Checkout this video:


As a business owner, you’re responsible for ensuring that your business taxes are filed on time. However, there may be times when you can’t file your taxes by the deadline. In this case, you can file for an extension.

Filing for an extension doesn’t mean that you don’t have to pay your taxes. You will still owe taxes even if you file for an extension. However, an extension gives you additional time to file your taxes.

Here’s how to file for an extension for your business taxes:

1. Contact the IRS and let them know that you need to file an extension. You can do this by phone or online.
2. Fill out the necessary paperwork. This will vary depending on the state in which you run your business.
3. Submit the paperwork and pay any fees associated with filing for an extension.
4. File your taxes by the extended deadline.

When you’re running a business, it’s important to stay on top of your tax obligations. Filing for an extension can give you the time you need to ensure that your taxes are filed correctly and efficiently.

What is an Extension?

An extension gives you more time to file your business tax return, but it does not extend the time you have to pay any tax due. You will need to estimate the amount of tax you owe and pay that by the original deadline.

If you file for an extension, you should do so as early as possible. Extensions are filed using Form 7004 for Partnership Returns, Form 4868 for S-Corporation and C-Corporation Returns, or Form 8868 for Exempt Organizations.

Once you have filed for an extension, you will have until the extended deadline to file your return. The extended deadline is automatically October 15th if you use forms 7004, 4868, or 8868.

Why File an Extension?

The IRS understands that sometimes tax paperwork can get lost or be delayed. In these cases, you can file for an extension, which will give you an additional six months to file your taxes. The penalty for not filing on time is five percent of the unpaid taxes for each month or part of a month that the return is late, up to a maximum of 25 percent. If you think you will owe taxes but cannot pay them, you should still file your return on time and pay as much as possible to minimize interest and penalties.

If you file an extension, keep in mind that this only extends the time to file your paperwork; it does not extend the time to pay any taxes owed. You will still need to estimate your tax liability and send in any payment due by the original filing deadline.

When to File an Extension

The IRS allows businesses to file for an extension if they need more time to prepare their taxes. You can file for an extension by submitting Form 7004 to the IRS. Include your business’s Employer Identification Number (EIN) and the tax period for which you are requesting the extension.

You must file Form 7004 by the due date of your return. For most businesses, this is March 15. If you file Form 7004 after this date, the IRS will automatically grant you a six-month extension, provided you pay any taxes owed by the original due date.

How to File an Extension

If you’re a small business owner, you may find yourself in a situation where you can’t file your business taxes on time. This can happen for a variety of reasons, such as being too busy or having trouble gathering all the necessary documentation.

Whatever the reason, if you find yourself in this situation, don’t panic. You can file for an extension, which will give you an additional six months to file your taxes. Here’s how to do it:

1. Determine if you need to file for an extension. You should only file for an extension if you genuinely think you will not be able to file your taxes on time. If you’re just procrastinating or waiting for last-minute information, you should not file for an extension.

2. Gather the necessary documentation. When you file for an extension, the IRS will need to know some basic information about your business, such as your business name and address. You’ll also need to provide an estimate of your tax liability.

3. Fill out Form 7004. This is the form you’ll use to request an extension from the IRS. You can get it from the IRS website or by requesting it from your tax preparer.

4. File Form 7004 by the deadline. The deadline for filing Form 7004 is usually April 15th, but it may be different if you’re self-employed or have certain types of businesses. Consult the instructions on Form 7004 to make sure you’re filing it by the correct deadline.

5. Pay any taxes due by the original deadline of April 15th. Even though you’re filing for an extension, any taxes that are owed must still be paid by April 15th in order to avoid penalties and interest charges

What Happens if You Don’t File an Extension?

If you don’t file an extension, you may have to pay a late filing penalty. You may also have to pay interest on the taxes you owe. The interest rate is 4% per year. The late filing penalty is 5% of your unpaid taxes for each month or part of a month that your return is late. The maximum penalty is 25%.


-When is the deadline for filing an extension?
-How do I file an extension?
-What information do I need to include with my extension?
-What happens if I don’t file an extension?
-Can I get an extension if I’m already on an installment plan?


The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) offers a variety of resources to help business owners file their taxes on time. The most common resource is the IRS website, which provides a variety of tax forms and instructions.

Another resource is the IRS Taxpayer Advocate Service (TAS). The TAS is an independent organization within the IRS that helps taxpayers resolve problems with the agency. If you need help understanding your tax obligations or dealing with an IRS issue, you can contact the TAS.

The Small Business Administration (SBA) is another government agency that offers resources for small businesses, including tax information. The SBA has a variety of programs and services to help small businesses start, grow, and succeed.

You can also find helpful information about business taxes from your state’s tax agency. Many states have websites that offer tax forms and instructions, as well as information about specific state tax laws.


To wrap things up, if you’re looking to file an extension for your business taxes, be sure to:

1. Gather all of the necessary documentation. This includes your business tax return from the previous year, any relevant financial statements, and any records of estimated tax payments you’ve made.

2. Fill out and sign Form 7004. This is the form you’ll use to request an extension of time to file your business taxes.

3. File Form 7004 with the IRS. You can do this electronically or by mail.

4. Make sure to pay any estimated tax that you owe. Even though you’re filing for an extension, you’re still required to pay any taxes that are due.

By following these steps, you can ensure that you’ll be able to file your business taxes properly and on time.

About the Author

Jackie Nimocks is a Certified Public Accountant and the owner of Nimocks & Associates, a successful accounting firm in Los Angeles, California. Jackie has over 20 years of experience preparing tax returns for businesses of all sizes, and she is passionate about helping her clients save money on their taxes. Jackie is a member of the American Institute of CPAs and the California Society of CPAs.

Scroll to Top