How Do I Do My Taxes for My Small Business?

If you’re a small business owner, you’re probably wondering how to do your taxes. Fortunately, there are a few resources available to help you figure it out. Check out this blog post for some tips on how to do your taxes for your small business.

Checkout this video:


As a small business owner, you are responsible for ensuring that your business pays its taxes on time and in full. However, tax laws can be complex, and it can be difficult to know how to file your taxes correctly.

The first step is to determine which tax forms you will need to fill out. If you are unsure, you can contact the IRS or ask a tax professional for help. Once you have the appropriate forms, you will need to gather all of the necessary information, such as your income and expenses. Once you have all of the information, you can then begin to fill out your taxes.

If you’re unsure about any aspect of your taxes, it’s best to seek out professional help. A tax professional can help ensure that you are filing your taxes correctly and help you maximize your deductions.

What type of business do I have?

The first step in understanding how to do your taxes for your small business is to understand what type of business you have. Are you a sole proprietor? Do you have a partnership? Or are you a corporation? The type of business you have will determine what forms you need to fill out and how your taxes will be calculated.

Sole Proprietorship
A sole proprietorship is the most common type of business, and it is easy to set up. You are the only owner of the business, and you are responsible for all of the profits and losses. Your personal tax return will include a Schedule C, which is used to report your business income and expenses.

A partnership is similar to a sole proprietorship, but there are two or more owners. Partnerships can be either general partnerships or limited partnerships. Each partner pays taxes on their share of the partnership income on their personal tax return. The partnership itself does not pay taxes, but it must file a partnership return (Form 1065) to report the income and expenses of the business.

A corporation is a separate legal entity from its owners, and it pays taxes on its own income. This means that the owners are not personally liable for the debts of the corporation. Corporations can be either C corporations or S corporations. C corporations pay corporate income tax on their profits, while S corporations pass through their profits to their shareholders, who pay taxes on them on their personal tax returns.

What forms do I need to file?

Small businesses have to file a number of different forms with the IRS each year. The type of forms you need to file depends on the structure of your business. For example, if you are a sole proprietor, you will need to file a Form 1040, Schedule C (Profit or Loss From Business) and Form 1040, Schedule SE (Self-Employment Tax). If you are a partnership, you will need to file Form 1065 (U.S. Return of Partnership Income) and each partner will need to file Form 1040, Schedule E (Supplemental Income and Loss). If you are a corporation, you will need to file Form 1120 (U.S. Corporation Income Tax Return) and Form 990 (Return of Organization Exempt From Income Tax). There are also a number of other forms that may need to be filed depending on your specific circumstances. You can find more information on the IRS website or by speaking with an accountant or tax lawyer.

What are the deadlines for filing?

There are several key deadlines that you need to be aware of when it comes to filing your taxes for your small business. Firstly, if you are self-employed, then your tax return is due by April 15th. If you have employees, then you will need to file a quarterly payroll tax return by the 15th of the month following the end of each quarter. You will also need to file an annual 1099 form for each independent contractor that you have worked with during the year. Finally, if you have made any estimated tax payments during the year, then these are typically due on April 15th and January 15th.

How do I file my taxes electronically?

There are a few different ways that you can file your taxes electronically. The first way is to use the IRS e-file system. This system allows you to file your taxes online through the IRS website. You will need to create an account and then you will be able to file your taxes as well as pay any taxes that you may owe.

Another way to file your taxes electronically is to use a tax preparation software. This software will allow you to prepare and file your taxes from your computer. There are a number of different software programs that you can choose from, so be sure to do some research to find the one that best suits your needs.

You can also use a tax professional to help you file your taxes electronically. They will usually charge a fee for their services, but they can help make sure that everything is done correctly and help you avoid any penalties or interest charges.

How do I pay my taxes?

Small businesses have to pay taxes just like any other business. However, the process for paying taxes may be different for a small business than for a large corporation.

There are two main types of taxes that a small business has to pay: income taxes and self-employment taxes.

Income taxes are the federal, state, and local taxes that you pay on the income that your business earns. This includes any money that you make from selling products or services, as well as any interest or investment income.

Self-employment taxes are the Social Security and Medicare taxes that you pay on the income from your business. These taxes are also known as FICA taxes. If you have employees, you will also have to pay employment taxes on their behalf.

What if I can’t pay my taxes?

If you’re unable to pay your taxes, the IRS has a few options available to help you. One option is called an installment plan, which allows you to make monthly payments on your taxes. You can apply for an installment plan online, by phone, or by mail. Another option is to request an extension, which gives you additional time to file your taxes. You can request an extension by filing Form 4868.

What are the consequences of not paying taxes?

The IRS requires you to pay taxes on all income, whether it’s from a job or from running a business. If you don’t pay your taxes, the IRS can take actions against you, including:

-Assessing penalties and interest on the unpaid tax balance
-Filing a Notice of Federal Tax Lien, which is a public record of the debt and may damage your credit score
-Issuing a levy, which allows the IRS to seize assets such as your bank account, investments or even your wages

In extreme cases, the IRS may even pursue criminal charges, which can result in time in jail. So it’s important to make sure you pay your taxes on time and in full. If you can’t pay the full amount owed, contact the IRS to make payment arrangements.

How can I get help with my taxes?

There are a few different ways that you can get help with your taxes for your small business. You can hire an accountant or bookkeeper to do your taxes for you, use tax software to do them yourself, or use an online tax service.

If you have a simple tax situation, you might be able to get by with just using tax software. However, if your taxes are more complex, it might be worth it to hire an accountant or bookkeeper. They will be able to help you maximize your deductions and make sure that you are taking advantage of all of the tax breaks that you are eligible for.

There are a few different online tax services that you can use. These services will usually be cheaper than hiring an accountant or bookkeeper, but they might not be able to offer as much help. It really depends on your individual situation.


Assuming you have a basic understanding of your business finances and what sorts of expenses are tax deductible, here are the general steps you should follow to file your small business taxes:

1) Gather your business receipts and documents. This includes everything from invoices to receipts for office supplies to records of inventory.

2) Sort through your records and identify which expenses are tax deductible. This will vary depending on the type of business you have, but common deductions include office expenses, travel, inventory, and marketing costs.

3) Calculate your total deduction amount. This is the total amount of money you can deduct from your taxes.

4) File your small business taxes using the appropriate form. This is usually Form 1040 for sole proprietorships or Form 1120 for corporations.

5) Include your total deduction amount on your tax return. This will lower the amount of taxes you owe.

While doing your taxes may not be the most exciting thing in the world, it is an important part of running a small business. By taking the time to understand the process and follow these steps, you can ensure that you file your taxes correctly and take advantage of all the deductions available to you.

Scroll to Top